Saturday, December 10, 2011

After Rights, What’s Left?

Two great things about being an American are the Bill of Rights, and the Internet.  One gives us the right to say or write anything we want, and the other gives us a platform for the entire world to view it.  That is a powerful tool, or a power weapon, depending on how it is used.  I am a big fan of both!  I love to babble, and love when someone is listening.  It is my long monologues at home alone that never give me any satisfaction. The truth is, I don’t think the fish understand English; they just stare at me, then turn their backs and swim away.    

I am tickled that technology has given me the opportunity to blog my thoughts and have some fire officer in England send me an e-mail saying, “Same here, Chap!”  It also reminds me that if I threaten someone, crack an ethnic joke, or insult someone in a foreign country, I am very likely to end up facing uncomfortable consequences, from someone close by or on the other side of the globe.  Sure I can SAY anything I want, but that is where the protection from the first amendment ends.  There is no language in any law that says that the object of my written poison must be loyally swallowed without opposition.  I could SAY that I am going to blow up a grade school, but I am smart enough to expect that federal agents will be following my every move before I even log off. 

These communication tools are like any ordinary tool.  Misuse will cause problems.  As I love to do, I will draw a rather grotesque analogy to explain my point.  I can own a table saw and I am permitted to sever my arm with that table saw if I really, really want to.  That is my right!  But obviously, the result of exercising my right to sever an appendage will create lasting results that I may not wish to endure.  Push-ups are hard enough with both arms, and since I do not have the financial backing of the Def Leppard drummer to trick out my kit the way he did, I would likely need to give up my monster set, and kiss the dream of drumming on stage for Van Halen good-bye!

So, what is the point to all of this?  If you speak, plan to stand by your words.  You OWN everything you say.  If what you say causes anger or hostility toward you, do not be surprised if someone gets angry or hostile toward you.  If what you say is illegal, expect to be arrested.  If what you say is libelous, expect to be named in a lawsuit.  If you saw off your arm with a table saw, expect a nickname like “Stumpy”.  Do you understand my point?

Rights do not shield us from harm.  In fact, in many cases, our rights give us just enough rope to hang ourselves.  Of course, hanging yourself is your right, too.  Just don’t expect your life insurance to pay your next of kin.  That is THEIR right!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated by author before posting!