Tuesday, August 20, 2013

All this food and nothing to eat





Anyone who knows me understands that I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy.  I like things simple, especially my food.  Every now and then, however, I enjoy a trip to the Chinese buffet for a change of pace.  I still stay away from the dishes that have a mixture of more than three items.  I don’t like my foods to TOUCH, let alone combine.  I usually go for some plain rice and one of the many varieties of chicken they offer.  Hmm, that reminds me of a good joke, but telling it now may get “meowt” of my train of thought.

While I sat quietly, taking in the sights of the place, as well as way too many calories, I was thinking about my blog.  I think the last time I posted was probably around the time I was last at the Chinese buffet.  I was thinking about my blog because I was recently given a deadline to post a new entry by a new friend and writing coach.  I had not written in a while.  It wasn’t for the lack of topics; my mind is constantly pondering life, and metaphorically analyzing the things I observe in life.  Lately, I have felt filtered, and have been hesitant to post my thoughts.  Perhaps it is because recently, there have been a few wonderful opportunities to scald some of my past nemeses, and I am trying to take the high road. I have been hearing the approaching whistle of the karma train; could I be waiting to see who gets waffled this time before I sing about it?  Maybe I only get inspired when I eat Chinese food?

Whatever the reason, here I sit, tapping away on the keyboard, with no particular place to go.  I wanted to do a piece about “accountability” and its many meanings.  Having missed my recent deadline, I don’t think this is the best time to post that.  Hypocrisy lost out to honesty this time around.  I also have been working up a catchy metaphor between fire stations and Chinese restaurants.  Some of my thought include: “Does anyone really come here for THAT?”, “Chopsticks and other silly tools of the trade”, “You don’t belong here, let the Italians make the pizza”, and “Pffft, a salad bar?”  Of course, there are the stories that often light people up; the funny ones as well as the ones that make you shake your head in disbelief.  

I sat in that restaurant for quite some time, pondering life, wondering what’s next for me as well as all the others dining with me.  I kept waiting for my brain to click as I sat, trying desperately to come up with the perfect topic for my next blog post.  I suppose you figured out by now that it never happened.  I had a mind full of thoughts, but nothing lit me on fire.  

Anyone in the fire service understands a dry spell like this; and we all know what happens next.  So, brace yourselves and keep your boots by the bedside.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated by author before posting!