Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year – 2012


A new beginning, a fresh start, a clean slate, a fresh page; However you view it, it is here.  The most popular topic of discussion this time of the year is New Year resolutions.  Many people vow change in behavior, and use the fresh start as the perfect starting block.  Then the hangover from the celebrations, the sleepiness from staying up late, and the buffet of football on the boob tube lure us into what I call the Mummers’ Trap. 

For those of you not familiar with this 135 year old tradition, JFGI (Just Google it).  You still won’t understand it, but you will appreciate the mind warp experienced by those in Philadelphia area who peel open their bloodshot eyes on 1/1 and get jolted awake by grown men in sequins and feathers spinning and dancing to banjo music.  The confusion causes a trip to the refrigerator, and as you are digging into the clam dip leftovers and washing it down with the last of the champagne punch, you suddenly realize that your resolution to drink less alcohol and eat more healthfully are shot.  Slamming the fridge door and swearing at your failure only causes resolutions number 3 & 4 to go down the drain.  In fact, statistics indicate that 73% of the sworn resolutions are usually broken before everyone in the house is awake.

Here is my solution.  Holidays don’t count.  You get a mulligan on New Years Day to clear your head and refine your list.  In fact, since the holiday is on a Sunday this year, many people get to celebrate the holiday on Monday, January 2, so that day gets a free pass as well.  But no more breaks after that!  So make your lists and give it (another) try on Tuesday morning. 

I won’t preach about personal goals or achievements that may be on your list.  They are personal, as are mine.  In fact, my personal list is extensive.  I have it printed out and hanging in the most effective location based on its content.  Yes, smartasses, it is on my refrigerator, with a copy taped up near the recliner, the TV, my computer, the BowFlex, and the dashboard of my truck (I need visual reminders). 

What I do encourage, is that every emergency service worker pick just ONE thing about their professional behavior to improve that will help promote safety so Everyone Goes Home.  It could be a fitness benchmark, a vow to wear seatbelts every time, to train more, to teach more, to use appropriate PPE on every call, or to ask for assistance before trouble bites.  Even more importantly, SHARE these goals with others, and encourage them to join in your quest for improvement; and help them achieve there goals as well.  We are all in this together.  My success, your success, his success, her success, and their success all help improve OUR success. 

I am thinking of dozens of clichés to type here that would help enhance this message, but resolution number 15 is to limit the number of clichés I use.  It is killing me, but I will make it through at least one day, come Hell or high water!  Fffffudge, I blew it!  But at least I said “fudge”; resolution number 8 is still intact!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated by author before posting!